Sunday, March 11, 2018

My Journey to Overcoming Anxiety: Finding my Silence

My journey to overcoming anxiety has opened my eyes to the importance of prioritizing (as not everything can and must be done at the same time), compromising, acceptance of one´s limitations (that superman and superwoman are fictitious characters hahaha we can be the best versions of ourselves but we are also vulnerable at the same time) and best of all, there is beauty in silence.  

It is imperative to find our silence.  It is in our silence that we "reconnect to our inner selves"; it is a way of recharging and loving our ourselves. 

Basic/initiation yoga and meditation are 2 activities that are helping me tremendously in my quest to finding my silence.  They are both challenging and nurturing at the same time.  Challenging because I need to ensure that I make time for them in spite of my very busy schedule and focusing or doing it right in yoga and meditation is not easy at all.  Focusing is a difficult task to achieve especially if there are so many random thoughts happening in my beautiful mind.  But that´s yoga and meditation, it is nurturing me to love myself by living in the moment, by loving the silence and by retrospecting in a more personal manner.  As advised by my yoga instructor, Antonio of Arati Yoga, I usually finish my meditation smiling, embracing myself and being grateful.  

Finding my silence is to me like seizing the moment. It is helping me to be more accepting of the circumstances, conditions, reactions around me, especially those that are not within my control. It is done with my controlled, diaphram breathing.  And for that I am grateful. 

In my daily life, practicing and finding silence has helped me in my communication.  I need not open my mouth, nor say I wod to effectively communicate.  Silence has increased my listening capability, as it enabled me to sincerely listen to what others are saying.  That way, I respond more correctly, I provide the appropriate answers and my gestures and body language are more adecuate. 

I try to meditate on a nightly basis or the most that I can during the week.  Meditation is helping me dedicate slots of silence just for me and myself where I can think anything and finish with a truly grateful heart.  Intially, I was meditating with music but lately, I have been meditating in the dark, without music, just enjoying the silence or sometimes soft noises that come around in my surroundings. 

I know that I still have a long but really long way to go but I am grateful that I found diaphram breathing, yoga and meditation as part of my initial steps to combatting these initial diagnosed signs of anxiety.  

I still am the gregarious, energetic, passionate, dedicated, committed yet introvert Isay.  However, nowadays, I dedicate time to my wellness, to my well being as I want to give so much to my family, my friends and our world and I can only do that by staying healthy. Indeed, there is power in silence!! Hope I can continue to find my silence.  

Hope you had a lovely weekend!  Hugs!  

 *** not my photo.  Photo courtesy of meditation.com.  Thank you.
*** not my photo.  Photo courtesy of meditation.com.  Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment