Sunday, February 25, 2018

I did not marry my best friend...

Many times I  have read and heard others say "I married my best friend" and that the key to a happy married life is marrying your best friend. 

I do not disagree to that perspective as maybe to most it has worked - as they already know the person prior to being involved in a romantic relationship so there was no need to put the best foot forward. 

However, in my case.. I did not marry my best friend but still, I am a happy, satisfied, love filled married woman. Hehehehe 

I still remember the first time I was introduced to my husband, I was very shy.  He asked to go out with me and I am glad I gave him that chance Hahahaha. Had I not go out with him at that time, my goodness, I could have missed the perfect chance of getting to know the good guy in him.  Eventually, we got along well. I still remember with fondness, with gratitude and with so much love, how I knew and felt that he was the one I will spend the rest of my life with.  I felt God´s divine intervention and there was peace within me.  We survived almost 2 years of long distance relationship with occasional visits until we decided to get married in my country, the Philippines. 

We came from very different backgrounds although we are both corporate professionals.  My husband is more technical oriented and I am into program and projects management.  On another note, we are both funny in our own way, we love each other´s humor, we love food, we respect each other´s space as individuals, we are very pragmatic individuals and most importantly, we are partners in building our young family.  

My husband, together with my son, is my biggest cheerleader!  My husband has always been very supportive of my cooking. I am no great nor excellent cook. I learned how to cook when I got married. But my husband has always been appreciative of whatever comes out of our kitchen as he knows that I cook everything with love and with passion. Hehehehe 

My husband introduced me to football. Before I just watched football because of CR7, Cristiano Ronaldo. hehehe But he has explained laboriously what makes a great football team and why he is a huge fan of the Barca club.  Hahahaha Nowadays, everytime Barca is in a football match, I always wish for Barca to win so that my husband will not be a in sad mood. Hahahahaha.  My husband would give me his insights, points of view regarding politics, etc. We would argue but we would always end respecting each other´s opinions. My husband supports my cravings hahaha for asian food. Hahaha He has been with me in my quest for asian restaurant hopping. hahaha We have both felt success and failure in our quests for the best asian food. hahahaha 

In as much as I bring happiness and love to our home, to our family and to my husband, my husband is the peace and the order that I have in my seeming busy schedule.  My husband gives me unconditional patience and understanding.  My husband accepts and forgives my moodiness, my ill temper, my trash talking hahahaha.  My husband is the epitome of generosity, silent water runs deep (he is never flamboyant with words hahahaha) and responsibility.  My husband has seen me at my worst physical and emotional states but still he makes me feel loved and beautiful. He provides a strong sense of moral support.  

My husband accepts the shallow Filipina in me hahaha - how in my early 40s I continue to go crazy with my favorite Asian superstars hahahah - Jerry Yan, Kim Soo Hyun, John Lloyd Cruz - how I drool over these matinee idols. Hahahaha How I am capable of memorizing my favorite movie dialogues hahahaha, how I cry bucket of tears when I watch drama movies and my fascination with Disney movies. hahaha He accompanied me twice to watch High School Musical. Hahahahhaa 

My husband accepts the profound love I have for my family in the Philippines.  He understands the strong bond that I maintain with my family.  Why I always have this need to get in touch with my family and this notion that a sibling´s problem is also our problem.  

I will never forget how my husband supported my decision to take a step back professionally and dedicate one year full time as a full time homemaker (this coincided at a time that I became a freelance consultant and my client did not renew my contract due to bduget constraints).  How I enjoyed taking to and picking up from the school my son and spending all afternoons with him.  But then, reality strikes and I need to go back to work for my own benefit as well.  

I still the first time I told you sweetie how much I love you. It is through a children´s book.  And that this holds true.. I love you up to the moon and back.  :) 

And you see, I did not marry my best friend, but I think the key to a happy married life is the willingness to make it work.  This may sound so cliche, but this is true, marriage is not at all a bed of roses, there will be good and bad times, but it is our commitment to becoming perfect partners, perfect support system to each other that will make it work.  This is the choice to love the person even if you disagree with that person, the commitment to see the goodness of the person in spite of the flaws (again this is a case to case basis because 0 tolerance to domestic violence in all forms).  

I love you sweetie, forever and ever and thank you for loving me always and I thank God for you.  Mahal kita ng bonggang bongga.  Te amo.  I love you very much.  Ichibi den. Kokoru kuru Aishteru. Saranghaeyo.  Wo ai ni. Je Táime.  Ti amo..



photo courtesy of allkpop.com 

photo courtesy of urbanwire.com


No comments:

Post a Comment