Friday, May 15, 2020

Staying Mentally Healthy during this quarantine

Even if we were aware that coronavirus started in Wuhan sometime December 2019, nobody saw its rapid spread across the globe.  Governments made hurried decisions to shutdown the countries´borders and to confine the citizens in their home as a corrective measure.  Suddenly, we are facing a new way of life. Working from home while homeschooling our children, literally staying at home and being with our family 24/7, queuing to buy anything (medicines, groceries, pastries, etc), using face masks and gloves whenever outside.  On top of these, there is this growing anxiety as we fear for the welfare and safety of our love ones, the increasing negative news impacting our emotional state and the uncertainty of our future.  

As we face these situations, it is imperative that we do a regular check on our mental and emotional stability. As a person diagnosed with anxiety disorder and agoraphobia, I consistently and systematically check my emotions. Anxiety disorder is unlike getting a wound that you can see the cut, put a band-aid and you know that it is healing as the cut closes and dries up. It is most likely that we are going through an anxiety phase without us even knowing it. General anxiety is triggered by situations that we need to deal with. We can incorporate healthy habits in our daily living that will help us proactively shake off anxiety both in a conscious and unconscious way. 

1. It is important that we dedicate time to do mindful breathing (profound diaphram breathing) as it allows us to be present and connect to our senses.  Recommendation:  Take 5 mindful breathings everyday (close your eyes, breathe profoundly, hold your breath and release the air).
  
2. We need to rise above the negative situation and practice mindful gratitude. While it is most unfortunate that the pandemic has taken lives, employment and has shaken our global economy, there is still beauty in our life. We need to challenge ourselves to always look at the positive and bright side of life. There is always a reason to be thankful for. 

3. As the world is slowly opening and adapting to the new normal, we should ensure that we continue to have our personal space.  While I love being with my family and I am a die hard, super duper fan of working from home, I take the time to go out on the slots approved by the government for adult outdoor activities.  During that slot, I do my mindful walking - I walk at my pace, I observe my surroundings and I reconnect with myself. I use this personal time, space to find my silence and recharge. Charity begins at home. If I am not an ease or not at the pink of health, I will not be able to take care of my family. I need to be at peace with myself so I can radiate and influence positivism as well. 
  
4. We need to prioritize. We all have our plates full. We all have multiple roles - wife, mother, employee/professional, etc.  So we do not succumb to stress nor die in the attempt, it is important that we prioritize our tasks and our goals on a daily basis.  We only have 24 hours a day or 8-15 hours of productive hours. We finish what is due for today and tomorrow is another day! 

5. We need to Accept the new normal.  We need to get used to wearing mask as part of our streetstyle fashion and hopefully it will be temporary. :) 

6. We need to make the conscious effort to be relaxed, to be free from stress and anxiety. Remember, it is not about what happen to you but about how you respond to it.  Life is 10% of what happens and 90% of how you react to it. Sing, cook, read, exercise, watch Kdramas ๐Ÿ˜, eat some chocolates, drink moderately, or do anything that will make you feel relaxed. You deserve it! 

Remember, life is beautiful; la vida es bella; kay ganda ng buhay. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‡

The New Normal 

 Not my photo. CTTO. 
Not my photo. CTTO. 

No comments:

Post a Comment